Struggling with getting in the AHA recommended two weekly servings of fish?1 What to do with that leftover salmon? Fish is usually best cooked and served immediately, not re-heated IMO (but if you like it that’s great, you do you)! This recipe calls for already cooked salmon, but you can use any leftover cooked fish. Canned salmon works well, too. Anti-inflammatory turmeric gives these salmon cakes an earthy flavor, but feel free to omit if you’re not into that spice. The cashew “cremoulade” is a fun healthier spin on remoulade or tartar sauce.
- Eating fish twice a week reduces heart stroke risk. American Heart Association News. May 17, 2018. Heart.org.https://www.heart.org/en/news/2018/05/25/eating-fish-twice-a-week-reduces-heart-stroke-risk
Salmon Sweet Potato Sea Cakes Recipe
- 6 ounces cooked salmon with skin, cooled and flaked (can also use canned salmon, drained)
- 1 small sweet potato, roasted, skin removed and mashed
- 1 teaspoon grated white onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated turmeric root (or powder if turmeric root unavailable)
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seeds or garbanzo bean flour (or any breadcrumbs/flour of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil, melted and divided
- Pinch of sea salt
Combine all ingredients and 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil in a large bowl until everything comes together. You may need to use a fork to get the salmon and sweet potato to come together. Form into 6 small or 4 large patties. Heat a skillet on medium-high with the remaining oil. Sear the sea cakes on each side about 5 minutes, until browned.
- 3/4 cup cashew cream*
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon fine chopped cucumber (pickled if you have)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon grated turmeric (or powder if turmeric root unavailable)
- Dash of paprika
* Cashew cream is one-part water to two parts raw, soaked cashews, blended until creamy consistency (can be made in advance and is freezer-friendly).
Combine all ingredients for the cashew cremoulade in a medium bowl.
Serve the sea cakes with the cremoulade over greens, pasta, spiralized veggies (pictured), rice, or even your favorite bread/hamburger bun.